Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Letters from Japan: 10/24/02 "The Amber Chronicles Part 4"

So Saturday I woke up at 8:30am and got ready for
work. Amber and Meredith (my new roommate) decided to go exploring
together in Shinjuku and Ginza (Lord help'em). At
least I didn't have to worry about Amber getting lost
alone. She ended up getting on the wrong train a few
times but they made it back ok and Amber got to see a
big parade in Ginza with Japanese dancers that she was
really excited about. I got off work at 6:00pm and I
made tentative plans to go out with people from work.
Amber and I had wanted to go out and have a night on
the town but I don't know where the action is around
here. So John (my boss) ended up calling around 8:30
to see if we still wanted to go out. So Am and I got
ready and met him at the Medaimai platform where we
all caught a train to Shebuya. Even for a rainy
night, that city was CRAWLING with partiers. John
took us to a really cool restaurant called "the
Elephant Cafe." It was HUGE and had a few different
levels and some tables that had privacy curtains or
shutters. The place was dimly lit and they played
all kinds of music, from country to Indian-techno.
When the waiter walks you into the restaurant, he
yells something, announcing your arrival, and all the
wait-staff yell something back, welcoming you. John
ordered about 8 appetizers which were all very
different and funky and spicy and scrumptious. We ate
and drank a few pitchers of beer until the place
closed (midnight). At this point, we had to make a
decision of whether or not to race to the train
station and catch the last train to Tobitakyu or just
catch a MILLION DOLLAR cab ride home. Amber's
suggestion was that we just stay out until 4:00am when
the trains started operating again...ahhh, remember
me? the working girl? Yes, the one that has to get up
at 8:30am to work all day??? OK, just thought I should
remind you. We missed the last train so we decided we
might as well check out a dance club. So we went to a
place called "Xanadu." The place wasn't terribly big
but had a decent dance floor and a stage for girls to
get up and shake their thing. We had a few drinks,
then Amber was dying to let loose on the dance floor
so she dragged me out and pretty soon I was tearing it
up. I had one little Japanese guy in front of me who
turned around a couple times and told me to get up on
the stage and dance. I figured he was hitting on me.
Then I saw the guy next to him start dancing with him
and just as I was about to tell the guy that he had
better stop dancing like that with that other guy or
chicks will think he is gay...(remember, I have a
special seat on the train)...Alrighty, then! Soon I
noticed that there were SEVERAL gay guys at the club.
So I had to tease John THOROUGHLY for taking us to a
gay club. It wasn't really a gay club, but I had to
tease him about it anyway (because that is what I do
best). I think I dragged Amber and John out of that
place around 2:00am, I needed SLEEP and SOBRIETY. On
the way to find a taxi, John tricked us into going
into one more bar. This second one was much smaller
and not as happening. He and Am did one shot and I
was able to drag them out 10 minutes later. We caught
a cab that cost $75 by the time we got home. AUGH! I
think we got home a little after 3:00am. Needless to
say, I wasn't feeling too swell for work but at least
I FINALLY was part of Japanese night-life.

OK, that concludes Day 4 (and the early morning of Day
5!) No cliffhangers this time...
Love me

No comments:

Post a Comment