Thursday, April 21, 2011

Letters from Japan: 10/26/02 I Like the Nightlife, Baby! Ropongi Part 1

OK, I have a HO-LOTA stuff to tell but I am short on time so we will see how far we get...

I am still suffering from a slight hangover from last night which also does not help with the writing process. Also, this keyboard is pissin' me off. You have to press down really hard on each key like an old typewriter which takes away from the fun of typing when you are doing "stream of conscious" typing. Ok, shut-up already, Rachel, and get on with it...

Yesterday was my other day off. Meredith also had the day off so we decided to go exploring. Our INTENTIONS were to go to the Emperial Palace but things never turn out as I plan so we ended up in Ebisu wandering the streets on a wild goose chase for a Mexican restaurant called La Casalitas. Mexican restaurants are hard to come by here so we researched this stuff on the internet in Shinjuku before setting off to find it. OUr plan was to find Mexican, then go to the Palace. Well, HOURS later, after MANY wrong directions from several Japanese people, we stumbled upon the joint. We were ELATED...and STARVING. I was really looking forward to a big basket of chips and salsa.

HI, can we get chips and salsa to start?

We don't have salsa.

WHAT? That's like a Japanese restaurant not having rice. OK, fine. Can we get guacamole then?

Sure.

I like guacamole so I am down but not out. Five minutes later the guy comes back with our SIX CHIPS and guacamole. I am not kidding. Meredith had 3 chips and I had the other 3 chips. Don't cry for me yet...you haven't seen the bill...

OK, after this generous serving of 3 chips and guac, I still manage to have room left in my belly for a cheese taco. The guy came back with a soft taco shell with a square of half-melted cheese lying in the middle. Where is the lettuce, tomato, and sour cream, you ask? Hiding out with the salsa, perhaps? Meredith had a cheese enchilada which brought our bill total to a whopping...$28 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SIX CHIPS, A SQUIRT OF GUAC, A SQUARE OF CHEESE, A SOFT TACO SHELL, AND AN ENCHILADA...TWENTY EIGHT BUCKS!!! If ever I had the inkling to dine-and-dash, THIS was the time. But I didn't, we just picked our chins off the ground, paid the bill, and then bitched about it all the way home. To add insult to injury, we missed seeing the Emperial Palace for that "feast." Afterwards, we walked around Ebisu, it was a very cool place with all kinds of interesting shops and the streets felt like you were in Europe. After shopping, we decided to head back home and change and head out for a night on the town. That ended up being quite an eventful evening. We went to Ropongi which is known for having a big gaijen population. It took some tricky train and subway hopping, but we found it. Then the big challenge became "Where do people go?" Most clubs are underground so you never know what kind of place you are going into. I told Meredith that we will probably end up going down into some whore hole and have no clue until it is too late. After walking down the block, we found the Hard Rock Cafe of Tokyo. That place was HOPPING. There was no place for us to sit at the bar so we ordered our drinks and stood there for a few minutes when all of a sudden, all the employees started going nuts and the music cranked way-up and one girl jumped up on the stairway banister and started blowing away on her whistle and all the employees started doing some crazy, funky dance and she was the ring leader just going to town on the banister. They played snippets of songs like YMCA while all the wait-staff did their dance and clapped and sang and got groovy. That girl really gave that banister a workout and she never fell! That place was a lot of fun but we had no place to sit and drinks were almost $10 so we had one drink and decided to find a dance club.

The next place we went to was underground and not that hopping. One minute after arriving, we were spotted by a drunk and friendly Japanese man in a cheap suit. His pants were about an inch or two too short. And did I mention that he was missing every other tooth? And the ones he still had were all gold? Yes, that lovely man who attempted to speak very broken English offered to buy us a drink. I declined and eventually he went away. Meredith snapped at me saying that I should let him buy us a drink since they were $9 a piece. I asked her if she really wanted him to be our best friend for the night. She said we could have just pounded the drink and left. No thanks, I'll buy my own. I told her that there would be plenty more creeps coming out of the woodwork as the night wore on and then SHE could accept the offer and be "beholdin' " to someone. We left that place after one drink and walked across the street to a new bar called "Time Out" (which was also underground). Since that was the grand opening, drinks there were only $3 so we decided to check it out. The place was tiny and had about 6 people in it. I was wanting to leave after one cheap drink but Meredith wanted to pound a few, then leave. That detail is important as you will find later on in the story. Eventually, when Meredith went to the bathroom, the one lonely guy in the bar made his way over to me. He said hello and told me I had beautiful hair and asked where I was from yadda yadda yadda. His name was Kevin and he was originally from Boston. He used to live in Japan a few years ago so i asked him where the good dance clubs were. He said that he was going to a club called Lexington Queens after he had a few drinks and said we could come with him if we wanted to go there. Eventually, he wandered away again and talked to some other girls, then he came back and Meredith did a shot with him and they pounded a few drinks and then we decided to go with him to Lexington Queens. And on that note, I will leave you with a few burning questions...WHO PUKED IN THE CAB? WHAT FAMOUS PERSON DID RACHEL MEET ON THE STREETS OF ROPONGI? Until next time!

Love me

No comments:

Post a Comment