Saturday, February 19, 2011

Letters from Japan: Aug 16, 2002

Aug 16, 2002

Hey kids!


It`s me again. I have been wandering around Shinjuku for almost 5 hours now looking for an internet cafe. This city is MONSTEROUS! I think it may even dwarf New York City. But it was nice to get out of my apartment. That place is so small, there is only a kitchen and two bedrooms, no family room, no dining room, no NOTHIN! And the bathroom is so small that I head-butt the wall every time I sit down on the toilet. Nice visual, hey? I finally got a decent meal...McDonalds! I have been existing on eggs, coke, Ramen noodles, and Doritos because I can't find a supermarket where I live and I can`t read the menus at restaurants because they are all written in Japanese script. I REALLY am a fish out of water here. My sleazy roommate left and I actually kind of miss her. At least we had interesting conversations, even if I wanted to run out of the room screaming sometimes. She also knew the ropes because she has been here for 4 months. Yesterday was a trip just trying to make a phone call from a pay phone. It took 2 Japanese Family Mart employees and one unwitting customer to finally get me to a phone. All I wanted to do was add minutes to my calling card at Family Mart and make a call. In the end, we were successful but LORD it took forever. I am going to start having everyone call me Tenacious C when I return to the states (there IS a joke there, for those of you who are unfamiliar with "Tenacious D," the goofy singer). Anyway, I have managed to accomplish just about everything that I have set out to do each day, it just takes three times a long to do it. Good thing for me, I have time, time, and more time until Monday.


My new roommate should be here on Sunday which I am very excited about. I NEED HUMAN CONTACT WITH AN ENGLISH SPEAKING CITIZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think it would be too much if I jumped up on her the minute she walked in the door and licked her face like a dog? Because THAT is how happy I will be to see her. Anyway, here are the things I learned today about Japan...

1) No one wears sun glasses, instead women carry umbrellas.

2) Everything tastes like Vernors (Coke, Tea, Etc.) I figured they must put ginger in everything.

3) McDonalds doesn`t have french fries, just hash browns (that sucks!)

That`s it for now.  

LOVE Me

P.S. Thanks for all your e-mails, that was nice to "come home" to after my grueling 5 hour walk around this God forsaken city! (Here is a picture of my kitchen/dining/living room):



No comments:

Post a Comment