Monday, February 21, 2011

The Push

Back when I lived in Nashville, I had a little place of my own. It was a bit pricey for what I made, but I loved the location, and I knew I could swing it, as long as I cut back on my spending. I had furniture to fill it, but nothing for decor. And all the paintings I wanted were too much for my budget. So after browsing the internet for the "perfect piece," I found myself coming back to the same paintings. One by Joan Miro, one by Alfred Gockel, one by Wassily Kandinsky, one by Picasso, and one by an unknown artist. I knew I could buy a poster of some of these paintings, but that doesn't have the life that a real painting has. So I got this crazy idea to paint my own version of these paintings. Mind you, I had never painted in my life (unless you consider paint-by-number in the first grade a real painting experience), but I decided that was the only affordable way for me to have art on my walls. So off I went to Michael's art supplies store to buy paint and canvases and begin my first masterpiece. And that is how it all began.

So why I am telling you all this? Because I need a push. I need to get my butt in gear. I'm hoping if I write about it, I will DO it. I have not painted anything for anyone in over 2 years. And I think I owe my sister about 6 paintings by now. After seeing some of my paintings years ago, my sister asked if I would paint her something by Alexandra Nechita. And since then, all she ever asks for is another painting. Her most recent request is for another Alexandra Nechita called "Golfer's Pride." But first, I need to finish the one I just sketched out. (Before she told me which one she wanted, this was the one I was GOING to paint for her...so I am going to finish that one, first). The one I am going to start painting today is called "Boxed Sunshine." It is also by Alexandra Nechita. I am attaching a picture of the originals (these are NOT my knock-off versions...I'll post those when I am done). Here I go!
(Boxed Sunshine)

(Golfer's Pride)

No comments:

Post a Comment