Friday, March 11, 2011

Letters from Japan: 9/15/02 "The Riddle of the Change Purse"

I have absolutely nothing to talk about but I have paid to check my e-mail so I am going to force myself to use the rest of my hour to write about SOMETHING! So I am not promising that any hilarity will ensue..

Friday, when I bought that blouse, I also found a cute little change purse. I thought it would be handy since yen is mostly coins (talk about a heavy purse!). So I bought the cute little change purse and raced home to dump all my coins into their new happy home. The problem came when I discovered that it did not hold many coins..WHAT KIND OF CHANGE PURSE IS THIS?! Upon opening it, I also discovered this strange round, black thing that was about as big as a gum-drop (if you whacked it in half) and attached to the change purse by a string. After some investigation, I realized that I could open this strange black gum-drop and inside I found a spongy orange thing. I pressed it with my finger tip and looked at my finger to find that the orange stuff was now on my finger. It was a sort of ink. HMMMMMM...maybe it's for fingerprints...what else could it be???? With a little more investigating (I asked my roommate), I found out that Japanese people all have their own stamp with their family name in Hiragana. They need this stamp to get certain things (like a video card or library card, etc.) Without it, you are denied certain privileges. EVERYONE in Japan has a family stamp. OK, now I know what you do with the strange back gum-drop with the spongy orange filling, but that still doesn't explain why my change purse barely holds any change!

So the next day, I take it to work and ask the Japanese office ladies what I have purchased. They confirm that the black thing is ink for your stamp. But what about this wimpy change purse? Why can't it hold more than a few coins? For those of you who have already figured out this riddle on your own...WHO CARES! QUIT LOOKING DOWN YOUR NOSE AT ME! For those who haven't figured it out, follow me to the pond of knowledge. The "change purse" is the STAMP HOLDER! You carry your stamp in the stamp-purse which also contains the ink for which to stamp! IF I could get any more retarded while I am here, maybe I can get a designated spot on the train next to the designated spots for pregnant women and old, decaying seniors. The stamp is shaped like a cigarette but a bit shorter and fatter (sound like anyone you know?) The good thing about this whole retarded experience is that one of the Japanese office girls was kind enough to call and order me a stamp so I can have MY OWN STAMP!!!! I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so! (Please refer to your 80's record collection for that joke). So in less than two weeks I will have my own stamp with my FIRST name written in Katakana (they said my last name is too weird in Japanese...) That's ok, because the Crawfords are weird folks anyway. I'll just be "Rachel," sorta like "Madonna."

OK, like I said, I have nothing to share so you get one goofy story and now I get to go home and eat sardines and Raisin Bran (THANKS, SIS!) I'll be regular in NO time!

Feel free to write me so I have something to look forward to when I open my yahoo mail box! What's the haps in good ole U.S. of A. ???

Much Japanese love,

Love Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment