Monday, March 14, 2011

Letters from Japan 9/24/02 "A Whole Lotta Nothin'"

Hi All,

I am sicker than a dog so this will be short and sweaty...

Last night after work a bunch of people went to Family Mart and bought some beers and sat in Chofu Park by the fountain and yapped for a while. You are allowed to drink in public so instead of going to an izakaya (a bar), people just buy their alcoholic beverages and sit in the park. That is not why I am sick, in fact, I did not even drink because I could feel myself coming down with something but I wanted to be social so I went along. There is always something going on in Chofu park, especially at night. People like to show off their musical talents (or lack thereof) so there is usually at least 4 or 5 "entertainers" and bands singing and playing there every night. One guy who is always there sings into an empty coke bottle and puts on a show like he is performing for an audience of 100,000 screaming fans. The other entertainment of the night was watching an old man pee for 10 minutes on a tree. I went home when it started to rain! , I figured I did not want to make myself sicker than I already was getting. Everyone else was die-hards and sat there hoping to wait it out.

My roommate moved out today and she managed to take the trash out. Let me explain why this was a notable event. Trash day is every day in Japan. One day is cans and bottles, another day it is cardboard, another day is plastics and "unburnables" and two days are burnables. The horrible thing is that you can't put your trash out at night, you have to set your alarm for 7:00am and take it out, so guess who has been being the responsible one... Well, you are WRONG! I have been the responsible one! She has not taken the trash out ONCE until today. She will apologize once a week for not taking out the trash but don't mistake that apology for any future intent on her part. So I guess she figured she would take it out FOR ONCE before she left. What a princess. I guess I figured Chinese folks were clean-freaks but she is just another Chinese hooligan that the Japanese police will end up wrestling down in the streets for doing hooligan things that Chinese people do here.

On a totally unrelated note, one of my students today said that she has been a hair stylist for 4 years and has studied hair-stylist-stuff for 3 months in France so I am going to get a free haircut from her sometime this week. So that is pretty cool.

Well, I guess that is my latest uneventful news. I'm sure it will get better once Michael gets here. We are going to go to Hakone which is were EVERYONE is suggesting I go. It is about 3 hours away from Tokyo and our hotel room will overlook Mt. Fuji and there are all sorts of hot-springs there and you can sit in some of them like hot-tubs so that should be cool. So like I said, my stories should be more eventful after this weekend. Feel free to skip over any e-mails I send before then. These are so boring, I am boring myself! But the compulsion to write is always there, like a disease, and you shall all suffer for it.

Love Rachel

Picture of the Japanese guy in Chofu park who sings into empty Coke bottles and dances like he's a rock star putting on a concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment