Thursday, March 3, 2011

Letters from Japan: Aug 29, 2002 "Drunks, Dwarfs, and Disappointed Dames"

Hey Kids,

I won't even bother you with my horror story of my
trip to Tachikawa. Nope, we'll just skip right over
that so that I can keep the swearing in this e-mail to
a minimum...

Instead, we will switch gears to more interesting observations in Japan. Have I told you how much Japanese people drink? Several times that I have gotten on the train after 9:00pm, it just WREAKS of alcohol. You'd think you just walked into a bar. The
air is so thick with the smell of alcohol, you can cut through it with a chopstick. And if you look around while waiting for the train to come, you can see businessmen swaying in the wind. They are so plowed, they can't stand still. Yesterday, I watched some people get off the train in Chofu and they had one guy by the legs. They were dragging him off the train by his legs. Apparently, he was passed out on the floor of the train. Another man almost fell backwards while just STANDING, waiting for the train. I am surprised that more deaths don't occur on the train tracks. One of my students (the man who was trying to lose weight so he could weigh as much as me) told me that Japanese people are missing some enzyme so it doesn't take much for them to get drunk. I was going to ask him if he was sure that it wasn't just the fact that they are the size of dwarfs, but decided against it.

I couldn't sleep this morning because I was told that a package was going to be delivered in the a.m. This was their 3rd attempt at trying to deliver it so I
wanted to be sure that I was there when they came. So I didn't have a good sleep, kept waking up thinking I was going to miss the door bell. Plus, I was excited
to see who the package was from and what it was. Maybe my sister sent me all those goodies she said she was going to send, or maybe Michael was sending me something sweet and wonderful. The anticipation was killing me, like a kid at Christmas. Well, the guy finally came at 11*00am...I had been up since 7:00am. And what was this wonderful, mysterious package that I had waited 3 days for and lost hours of sleep over??? HANGERS!!! Yes, Nova sent me some hangers! Oh, and that is not all, no, the fun doesn't end there. They also sent 2 coffee mugs and a pot. Talk about anti-climactic, I lost sleep over THIS CRAP??? I tried to crawl back in bed after that, but rest did not come easy, so I got up and decided to prepare for my trek to Tachikawa. And as you know from the beginning of my e-mail, things didn't get much better. But tonight I am meeting up with some of my friends from training so maybe this day won't be a bust after all. OH, I have a phone now. I know that calling may not be an option for everyone but you can actually get pretty cheap rates from some calling card services, so just in case, here is my number
81-090-4412-4589.

Love me

No comments:

Post a Comment