Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Letters from Japan: 9/22/02 "Domo, Doko, Dodo"

Hey Kids,

I'm taking off for dinner soon but I didn't want to break my streak of writing emails so I thought I would tell you my quick DOKO story. It's nothing big, just more of my own stupidity. They are currently constructing that seat for me on all the trains next to the pregnant women and half-dead people. I think they will give me a drool catcher, too. OK, here goes. So I have decided to try to use at least a LITTLE Japanese while I am here. You know, at least say "thank you" in Japanese. How hard can it be? You don't have to say the whole "Domo arigato, Mister Roboto" phrase either. You can just say "domo"(Hiroki taught me that...remember the t-shirt guy?) So the other day I was in Family Mart (my home away from home) buying my usual (rice, eggs, and chocolate). I made my purchase and said my magic word after he handed me my change and bag. The conversation sounded like this to a Japanese person...

Cashier: "Three dollars is your change. Have a nice day."

Rachel: "Where?"

HUH??!! I didn't realize until AFTER the guy corrected me, and said "domo," that I had said "DOKO" which means "WHERE." I wonder how far away I was from the store before the guy burst out laughing. What an idiot! You would think that I could say ONE SIMPLE WORD in Japanese! Then I started wondering how many times I had made this embarrassing mistake. I don't even want to know. Let me continue to live in my own world of ignorant bliss...I quite like it here (do I sound British?)

OK, I'm getting hungry so we're heading out! OH! One more thing, my roommate is moving out in 2 days...YIPPEEE!! Fortunately, I get to spend 2 more exciting days and nights with her and Squirrel Boy. He is coming over tonight...I CAN'T WAIT! She is actually not that bad, she just doesn't have much of a personality so it's like rooming with a slug. A slug with a squirrel for a boyfriend. She can talk, though. She can actually talk quite a bit, just don't expect any comedy. The good thing is, she doesn't mind too much when I humor myself during the conversation, I think she may have even laughed once or twice this past month. But she hates teaching and she hates her students and she is struggling so I guess that may detract from a person's "fun factor" rating.

Ok, NOW I am done. Write soon.

Love Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment